Sunday 20 January 2013

About Project Experiences Not Gifts...


Birthdays come and go. Hopefully you will all get some nice wishes and spend some time with your favourite people. Maybe you will get some gifts, something you have always wanted, and maybe you will get something that will sit on a shelf, getting dusty and remain unused forever. Whilst the sentiments behind material gift giving are positive, do we really need more stuff? If you think like me that we probably have enough stuff to keep us going for a while then I hope you’ll accept the invitation to join “PROJECT EXPERIENCES NOT GIFTS ” ! If you don’t quite buy what I’m selling, then I hope you continue to enjoy giving and getting gifts and maybe at some time in the future you’ll consider doing "PROJECT EXPERIENCES NOT GIFTS" for the hell of it!

The idea for giving experiences instead of gifts is not mine for sure. I’m sure there is a lot of stuff out there already about it. I personally like the blogs on zenhabits.net and theminimalists.com. Please do check them out if you like this type of stuff.

What’s "PROJECT EXPERIENCES NOT GIFTS" & what’s the point ?
I guess this stuff can be a bit like Marmite, so if it’s not your thing no worries. If it is your thing then I hope you'll pledge to give even one experience rather than a gift this year.  It doesn’t have to be just related to birthdays either, there are lots of other times we give gifts;  anniversaries, Valentine’s day, Easter, dare I say it Christmas (!) and a dozen more I'm sure. I was hoping that the experiences you pledge to give would be ideally cost very little or even better are for free because throwing money at something isn’t always the best or only way. If we aim to invest as little money as possible then it’ll help us invest a whole lot of creativity. 

I know everyone is very busy nowadays but if you chose even one occasion this year where you give one experience instead of a gift I think it might be worth your while! What have you to lose (apart from the loved one who wanted that expensive gift!).

Please feel free to share your experiences with everyone & lets get inspired ! 


B.T.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment